Abdul Hameed Shoman Foundation Innovation Award
In view of the urgent need to enable Arab innovation in addressing pressures critical to our region, and given the importance of fostering an environment that supports creativity, innovation and productivity, Abdul Hameed Shoman Foundation proudly launches the Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Innovation; covering both science and social Innovation.
Through this award, the Foundation hopes to strengthen the knowledge community, and drive economic growth by promoting the fourth industrial revolution - which is founded on innovation - to address present-day challenges and accelerate societal gains such as job creation and employment that lead to an improved quality of life and the advancement of communities.
AHSF Proposed Definition for Innovation:
Innovation is the process of translating an idea or invention into an effective, efficient, sustainable solution (products, services, models, markets, processes etc.) that simultaneously addresses a social need/ pain in the community, and creates value.
- Green Technology and Environmental Sustainability
- “Green Technology” encompasses economically competitive and productive technologies and management systems that use less material and energy, generate less waste and cause less environmental pollution than alternatives. Particularly, Green Technology covers energy efficiency, renewable energy, water management, and waste management; as well as the water-energy nexus.
- “Environmental Sustainability” is achieved when natural resources are managed in an environmental-friendly way within various development sectors, communities and industries.
- Food Security and Agriculture Technology
- “Food security” exists when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life.
- “Agricultural technology” refers to technology for the production of machines and systems that are used on a farm to advance the productivity of one or more of the farming elements.
- Healthcare and Biomedical Technology
- “Healthcare” is the maintenance or improvement of health via the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease, illness, injury, and other physical and mental impairments in human beings.
- “Biomedical technology” broadly refers to the application of engineering and technology principles to the domain of living or biological systems.
- Labor Market and Economic Productivity Solutions
Solutions that help increase the quality and quantity of participation in the labor market. This includes innovative, cost-effective and scalable solutions to improving access to timely and accurate labor market information, and increasing employability, labor market access and economic productivity particularly for the economically disadvantaged, youth and women.
- Education Solutions
This encompasses developing new tools and methods for improving the quality of and delivery of education towards inclusion, creativity, innovation and the application of STEM, literacy and other fields at schools.