Abdul Hameed Shoman Arab Researchers Award
The rise of societies and nations is attained through investing in people’s brains and encouraging scientific research, culture, and innovation. Thus, Abdul Hameed Shoman Foundation (AHSF) has been investing for the last 35 years in motivating and encouraging more research as well as scientific, technological and social innovation, towards a sustainable economic and social impact. We – at AHSF - believe that cooperation amongst research institutions in the public and private sectors, is one of the enablers that strengthens the status of scientific research, and magnifies its impact on the Arab world.
Abdul Hameed Shoman Arab Researchers Award: 35 years of support to scientific research and researchers
It is the first Award of its kind dedicated for scientific research and to honor Arab researchers since 1982. The award aims to support and highlight scientific research throughout the Arab world as it is awarded in recognition of distinguished scientific outcome of scientific and social value.
The award targets Arab researchers who have conducted multiple researches in an Arab country in one of the following 6 fields: Medical and Health Sciences; Engineering Sciences; Basic Sciences; Literature and Humanitarian, Social and Educational Sciences; Economics and Administration Sciences, and Agriculture and Technology. Each year, two topics under each field are selected as award themes, with 12 awards, each amounting to $20,000.
For more information: ResearchersAward@Shoman.org.jo
Many of the Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers’ winners achieved outstanding scientific achievements after receiving the Award, and others received prestigious positions in their respective countries.
The Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers’ Evolution Stages:
- 1982: Launch of the Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Young Arab Researchers - 4 awards covering 4 knowledge specialties, worth JOD 3 thousand each
- 1983: 5 awards
- 1984: 7 awards
- 1991: 9 awards
- 1993: 10 awards worth JOD 5 thousand each
- 1995: 12 awards
- 2002: 6 awards, worth USD 10 thousand each. The maximum age limit for the candidates increased from 40 to 45 years
- 2011: 6 awards, worth USD 15 thousand each
- 2013: New Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers’ foundations were laid:
- All researchers’ categories are now allowed to be nominated, without any age restriction.
- The Award was renamed to the “Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers”.
- All scientific specializations were confined to six main fields, instead of twelve.
Experienced and competent jury members, selected by the Scientific Committee, are in charge of assessing the scientific output, submitted and accepted for the Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers’ nomination, based on specific criteria, aimed at ensuring the objectivity and credibility of the Award results. Decisions are deemed final and thus, may not be challenged. The jury makes appropriate decisions to either choose the winners or withhold such an Award.
The Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers’ Components:
1- A certificate, including the Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers’ name, winner’s name and awarded field of interest.
2- A financial reward of twenty thousand US dollars (USD 20,000).
3- A plaque, bearing the Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers’ name and logo.
- If two winners deserve the award, each shall be granted a certificate and a plaque, in addition to the financial reward, which shall be divided equally between the two winners.
- The Abdul Hameed Shoman Foundation announces the names of the Abdul Hameed Shoman Award for Arab Researchers’ winners by the appropriate means, on a date to be determined each year, and special ceremony is held in celebration.